Skip to main content

i listened to wilco today and ...

i didn't enjoy it that much (yankee hotel foxtrot, that is). as long as i can remember, i've been under the impression that hipster musicians (singers especially) try to sound as uninterested as possible. but why listen to a singer who sounds so ... bored? why, they're not even hitting the right notes! oh, but it's on purpose, you say? okay, i'll try and dupe myself into thinking that this essentially unrecognizable aesthetic makes up for such haphazardness. nah, i can't lie to myself like that. to think that pitchfork gave this album a 10 ... i can't say i'm too surprised. things were just fine before this music began to exist, and hey, even the peaceful co-existence of emo and hipster music was alright. but the fact that emo music was utterly squashed by the bourgeois, faux-inexpensive shoe of hipsterism leaves me with some disdain.

an emo acoustic song to cap things off with:

Comments

  1. Wilco is so boring. The three library check-out listens I've given yankee hotel foxtrot have all resulted in a nap (including a very memorable pre-Hurricane Katrina one). I bought the album after that one for like $3 used once because I liked the song "Wishful Thinking," and FYE had a "buy three used get one free" sale. Can't remember right off (gonna be a little while before I get to "W"), but I think there were maybe three other songs I liked. Anyone I know who has "liked" them seemed to only do so because they thought they were supposed to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Glad someone else thinks so. Enjoyment of Wilco is emperor's new clothes groupthink, as I see it.To be honest, I get the same impression from the praise for Sufjan Stevens, which I understand is a controversial opinion. He's got some alright tracks ... but he just sounds so bored. Apparently having 100 or so weird instruments in a single track makes it good though.

      Delete
  2. Haha, that is pretty controversial, though I have an old friend (who I was in a crappy punk band with!) who holds a similar POV. I have some complex and difficult to express opinions about Sufjan, almost to the point that I am dreading getting to Su- because I will have to find some way to express them. With that said, I was a big fan of Illinois. I don't imagine that's changed, but I guess I'll see about this time next year, or so.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Curious, what was the name of your band? You got a myspace or purevolume? ;) can't wait for those reviews. That's his only album I've heard in full ... bought it on vinyl cause the cover is rad and heard lotsa good things about it. Sometimes I liked it, sometimes not so much. I will always go for emo over indie.

      Delete

Post a Comment