Monday, June 27, 2016

Media Bias, Memes, and Foolish Comedians

It has come to my attention that the media is not only biased but that their bias is contradictory. I leave it up to the reader to think of examples that substantiate my claim. But does my statement make any sense? Is not contradictory bias inconceivable, since bias involves one side, and contradiction at least two? Technically, I'm not wrong. You could say that a single media outlet cannot contain a contradictory bias, or else there would be no bias at all. However, when considering numerous outlets of media, ones that have conflicting biases, there is a contradictory bias when considering the summation. 

On another level, it is worth mentioning the biased contradiction of the response to said media. People have a tendency to pick and choose and media is no exception. If you know that your source of media always botches its examination and presentation of X, then why should that source be trustworthy in relation to Y?

This brings me to another point: the fast-food approach to study and evaluation. One frustrating thing I've noticed in recent times is the tendency to evaluate some of the most complex phenomena by means of the dumbest methods. For instance, evaluating a religion with a meme. Memes are horrible when used for non-serious purposes, but when they're used as a "checkmate" against a religion, or even to make political statements, they tend to be even more disappointing. There's a certain smugness about drawing a conclusion based on gaudy, easily generated images.

What is even more insulting is that comedians have become the new theologians. Are some people really convinced that a comedian could provide a robust evaluation of a religion? Comedy has always operated from a skewed mindset. If comedians used sane perspectives, nobody would laugh. A comedian does not have the credentials to evaluate the serious. A clown can't properly dress themselves for a job interview on Wall Street while remaining a clown. And so it is with the comedian, that is, someone dedicated to goofiness cannot properly evaluate what is serious. Even if religion was a non-serious institution, it would take a serious person to prove that. A serious person knows themselves very well, and if a person knows themselves very well, that means they know very well what they are not.

And some people think anecdotal evidence is bad.

4 comments:

  1. Keep your eye on comedians, though, for one good reason: they have allowance to say the verboten. One smuggle Orwellian truths that way...the kind of truths that aren't aired in company but could be on everyone's mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good point - comedians are successful on that front. I guess it's a matter of whether or not the majority's mind contains accurate or misguided thoughts about religion.

      Delete
    2. Man, I hate to hammer on one person, but that kid I used to work with that I mentioned in my comment on your June 20th post knew that I am an observing Christian, and took any chance he could to show me any anti-religious meme that came across his feed, or any comedic routine that mocked religion (Bill Maher being one of his favorites). Man, I didn't like that dude.
      He would say that he was just trying to start a dialogue with me, but when I would welcome it, he never had anything to say beyond the line or two of the meme. I would then point out the fact that what he really wanted to do was instigate and irritate. People who don't really stand for anything derive the greatest pleasure from mocking those who do. What an annoying,dude.
      On a comedian note, I used to love (comedian) Jon Stewart's Daily Show, but after a certain point, I came to the conclusion that Stewart was really great at pointing out problems, and really poor at offering any solutions. His Rally to Restore Sanity and/or Fear was really the breaking point for me. He had nothing to offer. People may disagree with my faith, but at least IT does.
      With that said, I thought Mitch Hedberg was hilarious. I wish that guy was still alive. His short, seemingly random jokes often achieved what Jay describes above, at least for me.

      Delete
    3. Haha, slacktivism and internet atheism sounds like a bad time, for sure. I almost mentioned Bill Maher here. He comes across as very arrogant based on what I've seen of him; I guess he's a comedian though, so chances are, it's used to enhance his act. That said, one of the clips from Religulous I found to be quite entertaining, the dialogue between him and Ken Ham. Hilarious.

      Delete